Don’t let unused gift cards go to waste—that’s like throwing money in the trash. If you aren’t quite sure with to do with a well-intentioned gift card that missed the mark or a balance that’s leftover after a purchase, here are a few ideas to make the most it and feel good in the process.
- Splurge on something yummy. Gift cards are meant to be used and it doesn’t always have to be a practical item. Go ahead and get dessert or treat yourself to a fancy latte. Whoever gave you the gift card, wanted you to indulge.
- Aggregate with other gift cards. They say it’s better to give then receive.Put that to the test.Put a pile of unused gift cards to work by using them to buy multiple items or even to make a gift basket for someone else.
- Buy something for your child’s school. Check with your child’s teacher or administrator to see if they have a wish list of items they could use. Chances are, you’ll be able to find something you can fulfill with your gift card.
- Sell it online. If the gift card is to a place that’s geographically undesirable or just doesn’t mesh with your tastes, sell the gift card online through a reseller and pocket the cash to use anyway you’d like. There are several sites that let you post your card and the amount you’d like to sell it for.
- Donate the balance.Sometimes it just feels better to give then to get. Pay it forward and either gift the card directly to the worthy organization of your choosing, use it to buy items on a charity’s wish list. You can also see if you can get the gift card amount matched through your company’s corporate gift matching program.